Final Evaluation


As I reach the end of the ‘Locating’ project, it is important for me to reflect on my time. Starting the costume assignment set by Catherine Avinson was exciting and dauting for me as I felt inexperienced in having the body and film/tv/theatre as a context. However, I realised this was an opportunity to broaden my skills and challenge the way I work.


I really feel this project has helped allow this. I enjoyed picturing my costume samples on the body, and it really helped broaden my horizons on how my work can be used. It has made me start to consider how I can start addressing the body with interactive instillation pieces and explore the way bodies could help inform or work with pieces I create. I believe looking at numerous artists varying from instillation to costume designers has really helped inform my work and bring in forward development and refinement.


I really enjoyed the costume brief and how much it varied from my usual work. Putting an alternative twist through looking at anatomy and textiles that changes scale over the body allowed me to explore exciting and intriguing techniques and materials. This exploratory process in my work is something that I enjoy greatly.

Something that originally threw me off was the introduction of the ‘self-initiated’ brief alongside the costume brief. This was the first time I have properly juggled two projects alongside each other. I was also going away on a university trip to Florence at the start of exploring this part of the project. However, I feel a good way that I adapted to this situation was by introducing the topic of Florence into this part of the project.
 Whilst on the trip I ensured I had a sketchbook of quick sketches from when I wondered around the streets of Florence. I was drawn to the renaissance architecture that was there. As I would have found looking at only architecture boring, I decided to combine the structures of Florence’s renaissance architecture with the structures of microscopic plant slides. I have done a project on comparing on contrasting different structures prior to this, and this was something I wanted to continue to explore and develop.


 As less time was put aside for the self-initiated brief, I decided that my sampling would mostly be formed of laser cutting samples, paper cuts, sublimation stitch and hand embroidery. I knew these techniques would allow me to create effective samples on a fast-paced time scale. I Was right in making this decision as I was able to create all the samples I intended on completing in the time give. In the future however, I would like to explore this project focus more as I believe there are many ways I could explore this further in an interesting way.



Overall, the ‘Locating project has really helped develop my thinking. It made sure that I don’t stay closed minded regarding the context of my work, it has made me work in ways that I originally wouldn’t have thought of. Balancing two projects at the same time has also taught valuable time management skills that I will use in future projects.

Comments

Popular Posts